Check your inboxes for the February newsletter, which was issued earlier today.
Items include the latest information about 2017 time trials, a plea for more volunteers to marshal at Kirdford on 26 March, and news of a planned social trip to watch this year’s Paris-Roubaix.
You can view an online version here.
Full details of all BMCC time trial events for 2017 have now been published.
Time trialling is a (relatively) cheap and straightforward way to really find out how strong a rider you are – and you don’t need to complete any sort of skills training to take part.
Courses range from flat 10-milers to double hill climbs on Mill Hill and Steyning Bostal. If you haven’t done a time trial before, why not make 2017 the year when you give it a go?
The Brighton Mitre AGM took place at the Hove Ale & Smoke House on Friday 27 January 2017. A full report of the meeting is available to download here: BMCC AGM January 2017 web.
Road racing (Mike Coyle)
- A full race calendar for 2017 will be posted to the website soon
- Given the changing profile of the club’s membership, some people might want to consider taking part in LVRC (League of Veteran Racing Cyclists) events
Time Trial (Robin Johnson)
- 2016 was a good year for Mitre time trialists, with new club 15-mile records set by Kat Avramides and Mike Coyle
- Thanks to Ray Smith and Tristan Court for their help with club events – but more volunteers are needed so please consider helping out
- Objective for 2017: to increase numbers in Mitre events – come along, you might even enjoy it!
Cyclo-cross (Dan Fagg)
- Entries are up, with more people racing cross than road this season
- Congratulations to Sarah Phelps, who won the Sussex League’s women’s league
Communications (Martin Thomas)
- The website has been rebranded, cleaned up and moved to a new host
- The newsletter has proved popular – please check your spam folders if you’re not receiving it
- Objective for 2017: to improve the way we communicate about races, events etc to give people more time to respond
Women’s Membership Development (Alison Lewis)
- 12% of current membership are women – on a par with other clubs
- CATI and Sunday social rides have proved popular – request for more volunteers to help run them
- 10 BMCC women took part in London Women’s Racing League race training day at Gravesend CycloPark
- Eastbourne Summer Crits 2016 was a great success for BMCC women and as a result they’ll be running another women’s race in 2017
- Preston Park training and coaching sessions in the summer were also successful
- Alison now reaching out to other local clubs to find ways of collaborating
Treasurer (Simon Dowling)
- Club funds in (2016): £15,786
- Club funds out (2016): £12,047
- Subscriptions account for £3,184 of BMCC income
Track (vacant post)
- 19 April marks the start of the Wednesday night track races at Preston Park – the series runs for 18 weeks
- In order to take part you must have completed a track accreditation session – look out for more details in the newsletter or on the SCRL website
Election of committee members
- Incumbent committee members to stay in their roles
- Social Secretary and Membership Secretary roles to be shared by Tony Milsom and Alex McLaren
- Track Secretary role to be shared by Alan Newman and Jack Smith
Membership Survey (Elaine Burroughs)
- Results shared, along with various proposals – including the idea of sharing winter turbo sessions with another club (Excelsior?)
- Tony Milsom & Alex McLaren shared initial ideas for social events, including watching spring classics & strade bianchi, visiting Roubaix for the finish of the Paris-Roubaix, midweek social rides once the clocks go forward, Newhaven night ferry rides, longer summer social rides etc.
- Discussion around how to improve numbers of BMCC members who race
- Proposal of donating excess funds to cycling-related charities
Brighton Mitre’s annual general meeting will take place upstairs at the Poet’s Ale & Smoke House on Montgomery Street, Hove, from 19.00 on Friday 27 January.
If you have any items you’d like to propose for discussion at the AGM, please email Elaine Burroughs (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible.
One of the items on the agenda will be committee positions for the coming year. If you are interested in putting yourself forward for one of the following positions, please note that you will need a proposer and seconder at the AGM.
Committee positions are:
Membership secretary (currently vacant)
Social secretary (currently vacant)
Women’s membership secretary
The full address of the Ale & Smoke House is 33 Montgomery Street, Hove BN3 5BF. Canapés will be served at the meeting.
Thank you for your patience while we’ve wrestled with the technology to bring you a brand new website. It’s a work in progress for the time being so please bear with us while we add content and smooth the rougher edges.
Please feel free to make suggestions about what you’d like to see on the site using the comments below.